Thursday, December 10, 2009

Robyn's Chicken Salad



This is one of those recipes that is more 'a little of this and a little of that' than actual measurements. My sister-in-law Robyn made it one summer when we were at the beach and I was hooked. I like it better than any chicken salad I've ever had. (Sorry, Mama.) I ate it all the time while I was pregnant because I was hot and it was cold. Yum. Too bad Matt doesn't like it. Poor guy ate turkey sandwiches most of my pregnancy. And the occasional gourmet meal when I got a craving. I made it shortly after Bryce was born except I left out the onions and the pecans had gone bad (now I know why my mom keeps her pecans in the freezer). It was gross. My poor mother-in-law was visiting at the time and was gracious enough to eat it anyway. She also swept and mopped my floors. And cleaned my bathroom. And made Matt gravy. Twice. I love that woman.

2 cups shredded chicken (Robyn uses 2 cans white chicken but I use a rotisserie chicken since we can't get canned chicken here)
1/2 to 3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 to 2 stalks celery, chopped
1 stalk green onion, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped pecans
salt and pepper to taste

The directions are pretty simple here. I like the chicken really shredded, not chunky. You can also adjust how much you use of each ingredient, especially the mayonnaise, according to your taste. Other than that, you just mix it all up in a bowl and put it on some white bread. Or if you're my mom, you put it on some bread that looks like someone spilled bird seed in the dough. To each his (or her) own.





No comments: