Monday, June 1, 2009

Spaghetti and Meatballs



1 large egg
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 large onion, finely chopped, divided
6 cloves garlic, minced, divided
1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1 lb ground beef (or 1/2 lb ground pork and 1/2 lb ground turkey)
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
3/4 pound spaghetti

In a large bowl, whisk together egg, 1/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in half the onion and half the garlic. Add breadcrumbs, cheese, and meat. Mix gently.



Form into 16 balls.



Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the meatballs; brown on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon. Cook remaining meatballs in remaining tablespoon oil; remove meatballs.



Add remaining onion; cook over medium-low until soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining garlic and 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning; cook 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes and 3/4 cup water. Return meatballs; cover, and simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes.



Remove meatballs.

Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti according to package direction until al dente. Drain; return to pot. Toss with sauce; serve meatballs on top, sprinkled with more cheese.

2 comments:

blogenka said...

Hello in Czech! :o)
This recipe looks really yummy. I will have to try it.

I was looking up for some cilantro recipes in Ceska kuchyne... and your page came up. Then I read about kolace which I miss a lot. :o) I am Czech, now I live in Massachussetts.
Just yesterday I wrote a little article about me cooking Black beans burgers on facebook and so I started thinking that I should put my cooking stories from USA with pictures on a proper blog. And now I found your beautiful blog :o) which inspired me to definitely start with my little project.

I will definitely subscribe to your posts. ;o)

Lenka

Anonymous said...

we had it on sunday night I realy liked it cant what for you to come back

love
rebecca