Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Chicken (and you could add Pork) Lo Mein

I came up with this recipe a couple of years ago in Ft. Worth when a serious craving for PF Chang's Lo Mein hit and I couldn't stand the cost or calories. This recipe is relatively low in calories and fat (about 400 calories and 15 grams of fat per serving) compared to the restaurant version. I've been craving it for a few weeks now but couldn't make it because I couldn't find hoisin sauce here in CZ. Upon our usual sweep down the international aisle in Tesco this week - lo and behold! - there it was. I had a huge crisis of conscience, though, as the bottle of hoisin sauce you see pictured below was 179 czech koruna (about $12 right now). I justified it, though, by reasoning that I could make at least 6 batches of Lo Mein from the one bottle and that was much cheaper than eating at a restaurant.

Please just smile and nod.

The original recipe I made called for 3/4 lb pork tenderloin, cut into bite-sized slices, and 1-2 chicken breasts, cut the same. I'm not really quite sure how to pick out pork tenderloin here, so I just used 4 small chicken breasts this time. Try it with the pork tenderloin, though. It adds a lot of flavor.

8 oz. linguine, cooked
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 small chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
1 red bell pepper, sliced julienne
1 c. sliced cabbage
3/4 c. snow peas
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. bean sprouts
3 tbsp hoisin sauce (Emeril calls it chinese barbecue sauce)
2 tsp sesame oil



Cook linguine according to package directions. Cook pork, chicken, and onion in olive oil.



Add vegetables and cook until crisp tender. Cook them until you think to your self, "A couple more minutes and they'll be done." Stop cooking them right then because they'll continue to cook as you add the pasta and sauces (any longer and they'll be mushy).


Add linguine, hoisin sauce, and sesame oil and toss until coated. Serve with soy sauce.




Number of Servings: 6

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I'm giving this a try at this moment....and the verdict....it's excellent, of course.